PDA

View Full Version : Responding to male vs. female managers

Xtina_baby_101
01-03-2005, 03:59 PM
DEAR READERS: I recently relayed an e-mail from a female manager who talked about the difference in management styles between men and women. Reader responses were intense, and I've included a few of the most interesting ones below. Can you guess whether a man or woman wrote each one?

"female managers are not the problem; they are much easier to deal with than male managers. They tend to be fair and unbiased in their approach to staff and their problems or needs. male managers often seem to be threatened by other male associates and, therefore, do not offer help or praise. As someone who has worked for over 30 years for both male and female managers, I prefer to work for a female."
"I left my job working for an almost-all-female management staff to go to a company where the managers were all men, and I just couldn't do it. I lasted less than a month. The men weren't forthcoming with the information I needed to get the job done; and they didn't give any guidance. When my old company came calling with a new offer, I immediately went back."
"Men don't think they need to learn to be a manager. They think they were born to be the boss. Women love to learn how to be a 'better' manager."
"I find the female approach to be quite refreshing. I enjoy finding new and innovative ways of doing things, which I wouldn't be able to do if I were 'coached' by a male manager."

"Stereotype No. 1: men can't delegate. they describe theirselves as a style of more as 'coach,' but then adds that he has difficulty in delegating because it's just easier and faster to do it himself. Coaches provide the 'big picture,' know their people's strengths, assign responsibility and hold them accountable for results.

"Stereotype No. 3: Women are more passive. She is working with the 'same title and salary while filling in for her male boss,' the implication being that he was paid more, but she's 'not bitter.' Before taking on more responsibility and authority, she should have looked up 'negotiation' in the dictionary. You lose respect, not gain it, by 'going along to get along.'

I do agree that men and women have different styles of management, but we're not that far apart. I would recommend some serious career-counseling to find a more appropriate job for this person. It's past time to put her, and her company, out of their respective misery."

So what does this grand exercise prove? Well, while the group responses varied somewhat based on gender, in the end, overall management styles aren't tied to one's chromosomes, as much as to one's personality and the approach to his or her team. In the years I've been writing this column, and in my professional experience, I've seen and read about saints and ogres, and, somehow, the ma'am or mister end of it really didn't seem to matter.

We'd like to hear your thoughts about male vs. women management styles. I'll give an autographed copy of "Working Wounded: Advice that adds insight to injury" (Warner, 2000) to the best submission. Send your entry, name & address via: workingwounded.com or via e-mail: bob@workingwounded.com. Entries must be received by Wednesday (Jan. 5).

LIST OF THE WEEK
from Lawyers.com and Glamour
What did you do after you were harassed at work?

Nothing, 48 percent
Reported it to someone in the company, 25 percent
Confronted the harasser, 24 percent
Resigned, 14 percent
Filed a complaint with a government agency, 6 percent
Consulted an attorney, 5 percent
ONLINE BALLOT AND CONTEST
Here are the results from a recent workingwounded.com/ABCnews.com online ballot:
Which best sums up your feelings about men and women at work?

I'd rather work for a man, 8.7 percent.
I'd rather work for a woman, 34.9 percent.
It honestly doesn't make a difference to me, 56.3 percent.
Our winning strategy about men versus women in management comes from Rory C. via e-mail. "For me, the idea of 'female' and 'male' management styles seems like a classic stereotype. As with many other gender- or race-based stereotypes, the management styles among female (or male) managers differ as much or more than the management styles across genders. Female management can be aggressive or 'masculine' and quick to delegate, just as male management often has characteristics your writer might describe as 'feminine.'"

WORKING WOUNDED/ABCNEWS.COM ONLINE BALLOT QUESTION:
Was the best boss you've ever had a man or a woman?

A man
A woman
The question itself is sexist
I've yet to have a best boss

Bridget
03-31-2013, 02:47 AM
In my personal experience, I think female manager is more emotional than male manager, I favor female manager actually, at least I feel more inspired when I have a new female leader recently :whistling: (http://www.theartofmanagement.net/)