Page 1 of 27 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Hameed Suggests

Default Hameed Suggests

Asalam-o-'Alaikum all,

I am going to provide you guys with useful links, tools that I have found useful in both normal day to day use of computer and some advanced tools for techies. I hope you find these useful.

PS: I will not suggest a program that has spyware. Some may have small innocent ads.

I start with FireFox Prayer Time Plugin

And for those who do not use FireFox, people have developed Prayer Time Sidebars for Vista or you can download the Athan software if you don't have Vista or do not like sidebars.
    Last edited by SheikhThingsUp; 11-12-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Default Re: Hameed Suggests

So you bought a new PC or laptop and are running windows (any version). The vendor promised your anti-virus package. Your windows comes bundled with a free trial of Norton or McAfee which are both subscription based now.

You run the software, you hate it since it uses too much of your PC resources and makes everything run slow and besides you do not want to pay for your anti-virus software.

This is where GriSoft comes into action. They have several options out of which the free virus protection is what most home users are interested.

Download a copy of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. I have been using it for over 3 years now.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Blog Entries

coolio!

Need a dictionary? Well I have used WordWeb dictionary which is installed locally and is very quick contrary to some online ones.

Download WordWeb 5 for Windows 98/2000/Me/XP/Vista
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Quote Originally Posted by Hameed View Post
    So you bought a new PC or laptop and are running windows (any version). The vendor promised your anti-virus package. Your windows comes bundled with a free trial of Norton or McAfee which are both subscription based now.

You run the software, you hate it since it uses too much of your PC resources and makes everything run slow and besides you do not want to pay for your anti-virus software.

This is where GriSoft comes into action. They have several options out of which the free virus protection is what most home users are interested.

Download a copy of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. I have been using it for over 3 years now.
    I've been using AVG anti virus for last 2 years and they are proven to be far better then any others I've came across.

As you have been using your computer for some time now and you feel its performance is not as good as it was.

Of course, there could be several different reason for it, but one of them is the load of unused and unnecessary files and registry entries on your system.

CCleaner is a very small program that removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Download it here.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Blog Entries

As you have been using your computer for some time now and you feel its performance is not as good as it was.

Of course, there could be several different reason for it, but one of them is the load of unused and unnecessary files and registry entries on your system.

CCleaner is a very small program that removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Download it here.
    aha! i needed something like this for our pc. merci :yes:

Blog Entries

AVG is amazing......unlike Norton which lags the hell out of your PC.

Now, you have moved to Vista and you need a firewall (free of course) because you do not trust M$ Windows one. Well, I run XP and Vista on different machines. On XP I still use Sygate (which is not being developed anymore, thanks to semantics for acquiring the company... ), so I was looking for a firewall for my vista box. Last night I came accross PC Tools Firewall Plus. Looks pretty neat.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Hameed lala i will add a few too

VLC Media Player - play almost any media file

Adaware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ - Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/ - spywareblaster: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html - Microsoft Windows Defender http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx . Be sure to update each anti-spyware application and run them in safe mode with system restore turned off.

HijackThis - Hijack This is for advanced users. If you are not familiar with running processes on your computer as well as anything ever installed that could tie into your web browser, it will not be much help to you.

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Process Explorer for Windows v10.21 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
    When, comes the Help of Allah, and Victory, And thou dost see the People enter Allah's Religion in crowds, Celebrate the Praises of thy Lord, and pray for His Forgiveness: for He is Oft-Returning (in Grace and Mercy).

گر نداني غيرت افغانيم، چون به ميدان آمدي ميداني ام

SHOR NAKHODafghanvoice afghan forums afghan news

Blog Entries

WHO WANTS A CRACK FOR BIT DEFENDER : D

Well I did pay for it ... or I pay to this site where people upload stuff so I can download it.

It's still a crack though

For web and/or java developers: NetBeans

I use it as a PHP IDE. I like it a lot. It supports many languages including C++ and Ruby and has never ending plugins.
    Last edited by SheikhThingsUp; 03-05-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

You like NetBeans better than Eclipse? Eclipse is amazing. Eclipse is love. lol Thanks, I'll try it.
    Inspirational Msg# 2: Toghether we can all make Omarius feel Love

Never got into Eclipse. Used it for my Java assignments during University and downloaded php plugin but didn't really like it that much.

If I go back to programming Java, I'd probably use that. But I am about diversity. I have probably a dozen different IDEs for different languages.
    Last edited by SheikhThingsUp; 03-05-2010 at 06:24 AM.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Never got into Eclipse. Used it for my Java assignments during University and downloaded php plugin but didn't really like it that much.

If I go back to programming Java, I'd probably use that. But I am about diversity. I have probably a dozen different IDEs for different programs.
    I feel Eclipse presents a tool/functionality-centric view to the user. Netbeans provides a programmer-centric view. For example, Eclipse puts project building as an ‘external tool’. A programmer would view buiding/compiling as an integrated aspect of an IDE, but for Eclipse, god knows that you had to step into a menu called ‘external tools’. If you want to create a project containing JSPs don’t create a J2EE project, but create a Dynamic Web project.And Eclipse does not allow you to define source and webroot folders that sit outside your j2ee or dynamic web folder.

Eclipse may seem more complicated to use for a beginner, but that’s because it’s also far more configurable than jdeveloper, has better plugins and doesn’t force you to do weird things with the project structure.

There's no perfect IDE.

^ Very true. I am not a Java buff and I don't see myself programming in it any time soon. I have a solid understanding of the language, but C/C++, PERL and PHP are my pieces of cake.

At work I am bound to using VI over a ssh for backend development (I personally always preferred Emacs, but now loosing it in favor of VIM) as for the GUI client, well it is build on Borland C++ version 6. Now, our application is so mature that thinking of moving it to another IDE is unimaginable. Borland C++ 6 is ancient.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

1. CClearner can help make your pc a bit faster, but not really, what you really need a registry cleaner, it is the database that gets larger and larger, and even after you un-install stuff it stays in there, so get yourself a good registry cleaner.

2. Disable programs from autostarting that you don't need to make ur pc faster, go to run-> msconfig (type this command)...then click on the startup tab. disable things like RealSched, Groovemonitor, Adobe reader, itunes helper, etc etc..disable everything u don't want to auto start.

3. Defrag your pc once in 6mths-1 yr.

4. Don't constantly shutdown and restart your pc, most anti virus programs will do a full scan once you restart, so leave it running, make it go into hybernate, etc. Laptops, just close the top and they go to sleep.

5. BACKUP your DATA, to multiple places, and different locations..can't stress this enough.

6. To avoid viruses/spyware crap, don't click on popups that say you need your pc tuned/checked/scanned, just close those windows (x on the top right), do not click scan etc, it will auto install.

7. Try to use different accounts to not get your whole computer infected. Use 1 account that has administrative privileges to install/remove/update software, and use a regular user account for normal day to day browsing/surfing etc.

8. Knoppix (Linux on CD), get yourself a copy of this CD, it is linux off the Cd, no install needed. so when your computer crashes, like your windows XP won't boot, and you need that homework, that project, those pictures, that final assignment, you can simply put this cd and boot off, use a USB stick to copy the files off the main hard drive (assuming it's not encrypted). Note: Right click on the USB and change to read/write mode to "write" to the USB stick from the main hard drive. It is all graphics based, so you don't need to know linux commands, you can use point and click, eASY!
    Last edited by Doast; 03-05-2010 at 07:59 AM.

And if you need any software just drop the name and I will give you the link.

From office suites till video editors. I have them all.

^For now i need office suites.

Wanna try the new Microsoft Office 2010 or the stable 2007 version? Say which one you want, I can give it you