Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Shias hit themselves???

Default Why do Shias hit themselves???

ive seen it today with my own eyes . Me and my mates went out to eat and there was a big group of shias hitting themselves on their chests. They were out on the street, in this cold winter with bear chests.
    Like i knw its about prophet mohammad's (PBUH) grandson, Imam Hussain. But someone plz help me understand this whole thing. Im a sunni and we dnt do anything like that. Why do the Shias do it and Sunni's dont?

p.s. i never knew they were allowed to do this on the streets in Britain. They had even brought the little kids with them, who were beating themselves an that is just wrong.

Default Re: Why do Shias hit themselves???

well i guess their ayatollahs have ruled it wrong 4 them 2 beat themselves so blood comes out but some ppl are ignorent and u get that in both sunni and shia..... also i guess striking the chest is so that they feel sad for hazrat Husaain.
    Ya Khudaya da Paxtana/Afghanan ba kala yaw shee?!

Meet People In Such A Manner That If You Die They Should Weep For You, And If You Live They Should Long For You

also this should be moved to the religious thread!!!!!!!!! lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Ya Khudaya da Paxtana/Afghanan ba kala yaw shee?!

Meet People In Such A Manner That If You Die They Should Weep For You, And If You Live They Should Long For You

cuz they're morons, following an idiotic,sad, and dead end ideology
    BTW I'm talking abt religion in general

^ religion a sad ideology?? here we go again..

Quote Originally Posted by conscious-sedation View Post
    he meant the shi'a

and that's reality
    I meant shia,Sunni,Christianity, Judaism etc...

@ consious sedation: i know what he meant...
    he is an extremist atheist

Quote Originally Posted by nimrooo View Post
    I meant shia,Sunni,Christianity, Judaism etc...
    you're from iran right?

i met a few irani's that their experience with shi'ia led them to become athiest.

idk your story though.

but oh well.

i won't waste your 5 minutes trust me debating this lol.
    Last edited by conscious-sedation; 01-17-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    In my daze, can't feel, it's real, or any sensation
    So numb, but I realize its all just ... Conscious-Sedation.

Quote Originally Posted by conscious-sedation View Post
    you're from iran right?

i met a few irani's that their experience with shi'i retardation led them to become athiest.

idk your story though.

but oh well.

i won't waste your 5 minutes trust me debating this lol.
    I opened a thread last month I think, when i joined this site, if you go back two pages you'll see it. The three Abrahamic religions basically function by keeping the masses scared of hell and etc... It's hard to think for yourself when you're scared of hell and you're crazy community, e.g. parents,family etc...

I opened a thread last month I think, when i joined this site, if you go back two pages you'll see it. The three Abrahamic religions basically function by keeping the masses scared of hell and etc... It's hard to think for yourself when you're scared of hell and you're crazy community, e.g. parents,family etc...
    it's very simple.

compounded in this, take out every single thing about religious views, organization, etc. from one's head.

it breaks down like this..

we ask

Am khuliqoo min ghayri shayyin? am humul khaaliqoon?
    am khalaqus samawaati wal ardha bal... laa yuqinoon

Were they created by nothing (did we come out of thin air?) or were they themselves the creators? (did we create ourselves?)

Or did they create the heavens and the earth? (these vast creation how do they sustain themselves we know little about, did we create that?) Rather, if (you choose to believe in other than that) they are not certain, have no firm belief, no certainty.

This is the minimum. We don't have to look far and wide to realize and acknowledge there is a creator of all that exists. The proof is in the creation itself. Look around at the perfect BALANCE of EVERY single thing, even in our OWN bodies. I'm pre - med, and if one iota in our molecular build is in imbalance, we would not function, period.

These are signs for those whom reflect.

The same question was posed to a scholar of Islam by a bedoiun, who was fed up with what these people worshipped and called to, so he came to ask them a question."what is this 'ALLAH' you call to, ALLAH this ALLAH that. WHAT is the big deal? Who is this ALLAH and what PROOF do you have that HE exists?!"

The dude is obviously from the harsh conditions of the desert, a bit ill mannered, but still the scholar was taken aback.

He looked at him and looked around, then looked back at him and said, "Sir, do you not see this pile of camel dung on the path?" and pointed to just that, the pile of dung.

The bedouin completely taken aback, said 'what?!.. yes what about it?'

The scholar told him, 'we can infer by the presence of this DUNG that a CAMEL has passed by here, do you agree?'

The bedouin, knowing fully well camels, said "Of course!"

The scholar said, "do you see those footprints in the sand?" and pointed to just that the footprints in the path.

The bedouin said, "Of course so what so what?!"

The scholar said, "The presence of the footprints we can say surely there has been a traveller that passed by, can we not?"

The bedouin said, "of COURSE!"

The scholar told him, "Look oh man, look at the heavens, look at the earth, look at the creation around you in its PERFECTION. Look at your OWN body, look at what everything functions in UTTER balance. THESE are SIGNS that there is a GREAT power that put them where they are!"

Call that power mother nature, ying, yang, God, whatever you want to go and call it.. THAT is the Supreme Benefactor and Creator of all that exists.

If we don't agree to this point. Then there is no further discussion. The entire foundation is on this single aspect.

To acknowledge a Creator.

-) That simple.

That this Creator gave us a SET purpose.. just as we have a purpose in our work environment, school, etc.

if these menial compare to our entire LIFE... how can it not have PURPOSE?

If you go to work YOU will be given tasks to achieve GOALS and have a GUIDE.

If you run for office you are held accountable to do tasks to achive the purpose of that position with STANDARDS and GUIDELINES.

If you are in a classroom of a Professor. Imagine this professor coming in. 500 students in HIS classroom. He walks in. In front of the entire class. Tells everyone. "YOU ALL HAVE TO PASS THIS CLASS." is it LOGICAL that he walks out right then and there?? Of course not.

The Professor, in HIS class. Has a SYLLABUS a GUIDE. STANDARDS. GOALS. MEASUREMENTS. GUIDELINES. To show

If you do this this this that - you get a C, and PASS.
    If you do that this that that - you get a B, and PASS.
    If you do this this that that - you will get an A, and PASS.

ALL PASS, but have levels.

IF you CHOOSE not to, the obvious consequence is FAILING, you are accountabel for your own actions.

And the worst position is the one who says "what professor? I dont' care for him. Forget him even" and has enmity.

This is the similitude of our work, our family, our governments, our school... much less is it compared to the similitude of OUR LIFE..

These are signs for those who reflect and ponder.

That is the initial foundation.

Acknowledging a great Creator for all that exists..

Anything else...

no need for discussion. -)

Mourning for the dead is something natural. I'm sure all muslims mourn the death of every great leader of Islam, because nowadays, that is exactly what is lacking: a leader. But *excessive* mourning is incorrect, and inflicting harm on yourself is not justified. The reason why shia's practice such a ritual lies in their aqeedah. But, as p4L said, it would be wise not to dwell on something which would create fasaad.
    ''With a drop of my sweetheart's blood,
    Shed in the defense of the motherland,
    Will i put a beauty spot on my forhead,
    Such as would put to shame the rose in a garden''

for those who has no idea why shia hit themselves
    i ask them one question
    if (khuda-e- nakhasta) ur mom ,dad or closed one die what do u do ?

do u hit urself as u lose that person?

i think u will cry that much that u forget everything and u just feel to die and not to live anymore coz u lost a person who is close to u
    right??????????

cuz they're morons, following an idiotic,sad, and dead end ideology
    BTW I'm talking abt religion in general
    hey be nice
    u ahve no right to call anyone like this
    so taek ur word back otherwise ................

It is flawed attitude. Their own 'Ulema has told them not to, but I guess some people are extremists. Harming oneself is Haram and excessive mourning is discouraged by the prophet (PBUH) himself.

Afghan_girl jan,
    If my mother or any other close relative dies, I will pray for them. I will ask Allah to forgive their sins.... perhpaps the pain might bring a tear or two, but to get myself down to beat my chest as hard to get blood running.... It is stupid to say the least.

Hewad, There is nothing in Shi'a Aqeedah to tell them to beat themselves...
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Quote Originally Posted by Hameed View Post
    It is flawed attitude. Their own 'Ulema has told them not to, but I guess some people are extremists. Harming oneself is Haram and excessive mourning is discouraged by the prophet (PBUH) himself.

Afghan_girl jan,
    If my mother or any other close relative dies, I will pray for them. I will ask Allah to forgive their sins.... perhpaps the pain might bring a tear or two, but to get myself down to beat my chest as hard to get blood running.... It is stupid to say the least.

Hewad, There is nothing in Shi'a Aqeedah to tell them to beat themselves...
    i think every one has thier opinion but no one has right to say anything

if its haram or halal let us deal with it
    why u guys jugde ?
    why we beat ourselves? its all LOVE TH LOVE THAT WE HAVE FOR IMAM HUSAIN AND THOS 72 PEOPLE IN KARBALA

SO I REQUEST THOSE WHO SAY ITS HALA OR HARAM OR WHATEVERR........
    LEAVE US ALONE U GUYS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND

In ur neighbor....check the window.. u might see me :D

Hmm should i start?
    I have kissed millions of frogs but still no prince charming ....

Blog Entries

Consious Sedation go to my Atheism thread if you think you think your argument for God holds, and for your god's sake stop making the cosmological argument. It's old and (now) stupid.

There is a joke that I was reminded of.

One day a foreigner goes to Iran and sees everyone hitting themselves. He asks a person beside him "why are they hitting themselves?", "Because the prophet's grand sons were murdered" is the reply. He then asks "When were they murdered?", "14 centuries years ago". The foreigner then sighs and says "Tsk tsk, your communication systems really are that slow."

Oh, and there is a hillarious person I know who was making a parody to the crying thing and was saying.

"uhuh uh, oooo Hussain jan, agar zor nadaashtee, chera be jang raftee..."- THAT CRACKED ME UP.
    Last edited by 3.14159265...; 01-17-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by "Afghan_girl" View Post
    i think every one has thier opinion but no one has right to say anything

if its haram or halal let us deal with it
    why u guys jugde ?
    why we beat ourselves? its all LOVE TH LOVE THAT WE HAVE FOR IMAM HUSAIN AND THOS 72 PEOPLE IN KARBALA

SO I REQUEST THOSE WHO SAY ITS HALA OR HARAM OR WHATEVERR........
    LEAVE US ALONE U GUYS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND
    Whatever floats your boat.

I personally think he (RA) would be very sad to see those who claim to love him beat themselves... I just find it pointless and if one believe s/he'd get points on the judgement day, this is the wrong aproach. Follow Hussain (RA) footsteps, don't mourn his Shahadah. I rest my case.

It is a very general rule in Islam that harming one's body is Haram, there is no debate and even Shi'a 'ulema do not condone beating up.

Some QAs from a Shi'a source

"I have not risen to spread evil or to show off, nor for spreading immorality or oppression. But I have left for the REFORMATION of the Ummah of my Grandfather the Apostle of Allah (s.a.w.) and I desire to do Amr Bil Maroof (invite towards good values) and Nahi Anal Munkar (forbidding from Evil)." -Imam Hussain (RA)
    Last edited by SheikhThingsUp; 01-17-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14159265... View Post

"uhuh uh, oooo Hussain jan, agar zor nadaashtee, chera be jang raftee..."- THAT CRACKED ME UP.
    Stop this Behzad. I will not tolerate making fun of our leaders and scholars.... Don't make me stop being nice.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

Quote Originally Posted by 3.14159265... View Post
    Consious Sedation go to my Atheism thread if you think you think your argument for God holds, and for your god's sake stop making the cosmological argument. It's old and (now) stupid.
    i don't really have time to waste my 5 minutes and yours arguing this.

i'm sure you know the cosmological argument, ptolomeic, aristotelian prime-mover.. etc.

I see no benefit in debating with you or discussing it.

Read the Qur'an.

Answer the verses

"That is the book, which there is no doubt .."

"Do they not then consider the Quran carefully? Had it been from other than God, they would surely have found therein much contradictions."

"Or do they say: 'He (Muhammad) has forged it (this Quran)?' Rather, they do not believe. Then let them produce a statement like it, if they should be truthful. Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.....

So leave them until they meet their Day in which they will be struck insensible -The Day their plan will not avail them at all, nor will they be helped."

It's a self choice, i'm not infringing it upon anyone, and anyone to read freely.

I deem you a well educated person that sees balance in delving into all sides before coming with a conclusion I hope.

That's all i really cared to say..

-) have a good one
    Last edited by conscious-sedation; 01-17-2008 at 06:01 PM.