Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Khiaal Palauw
    Posts
    423

    Default Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Salaam Aleikum...

    I tried to google it, but couldnt find an answer.... The other day I was talking with my Quran Sharif teacher, she mentioned that finishing the english translation of the Quran Sharif, is not considered doing a Khatm ul Quran, but just counted as Sawaab.... She said you can only do a Khatm ul Quran, by finishing it in the original language , arabic,,

    I have never heard this before, got quite surprised.. I asked family and friends , they could not answer either.

    Is this true ? :unsure:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Khiaal Palauw
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Also I have a Question ... Is it allowed for a woman , to read Quran sharif during her Menstruation?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Far Far Away
    Posts
    3,600

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaitoon View Post
    Salaam Aleikum...

    I tried to google it, but couldnt find an answer.... The other day I was talking with my Quran Sharif teacher, she mentioned that finishing the english translation of the Quran Sharif, is not considered doing a Khatm ul Quran, but just counted as Sawaab.... She said you can only do a Khatm ul Quran, by finishing it in the original language , arabic,,

    I have never heard this before, got quite surprised.. I asked family and friends , they could not answer either.

    Is this true ? :unsure:
    i didn't noe dat either... :confused1: buhh i think it should be more
    sawab in reading it in a language dat u understand rather than jus reading it
    cuz it sound beautifull....


    i dun think u r allowed... cuz bayad ozo dashtabashee in order to read the Quran...
    buhh i m not sure tho....
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10,319

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Khatem e Quran itself is a cultural ritual, not something that is mandated or reccommended by Islam. We are suppose to study the Quran in any langage that we understand. Understanding is the main point. Of course reciting it in Arabic has rewards but the reason Allah sent the Quran is so we study it and implement its teachings in our lives...not just read it in Arabic without understanding it. The reason people stress that we can read it in Arabic is cuz we have to pray in Arabic. So that is understandable. But to say you dont get rewarded if you dont recite the Quran in Arabic is not true.

    so seems that your teacher has no clue
    Last edited by Baktash; 10-12-2008 at 12:39 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Desert
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaitoon View Post
    Also I have a Question ... Is it allowed for a woman , to read Quran sharif during her Menstruation?
    i dont know abt ur first question ,sry ....but this one i know ,n no sis ,its not allowed ...even touching it without wodhu is not permissible .
    ~*~مين يحبك كثر ما احبك انا~*~

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Khiaal Palauw
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Well I dont know, some say that you can recite Quran sharif, without wuzu as long as you dont touch it ....?????

    If we are not allowed to read it, can we listen ( audio) the Separa's we were supposed to read, and then start reading from the part we finished listening, once we get clean again?

    Excuse my bad english and confusing questions :unsure:

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    b
    Posts
    10,066

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baktash View Post
    Khatem e Quran itself is a cultural ritual, not something that is mandated or reccommended by Islam. We are suppose to study the Quran in any langage that we understand. Understanding is the main point. Of course reciting it in Arabic has rewards but the reason Allah sent the Quran is so we study it and implement its teachings in our lives...not just read it in Arabic without understanding it. The reason people stress that we can read it in Arabic is cuz we have to pray in Arabic. So that is understandable. But to say you dont get rewarded if you dont recite the Quran in Arabic is not true.

    so seems that your teacher has no clue
    Actually her teacher has lots of "clue" brother, I think we should hold our tongue in matters we do not understand or have not studied.

    1. As far as I understand, in the Hanafi Madhab, it is required that you khatm the Quran in Arabic once in your lifetime. I have not come across any concrete but I"ll try to find it.

    2. The Quran is considered the Quran only in the Arabic language, and there is Sawab in reading the Quran in Arabic language. The translation is not considered the "Quran", therefore that is why women menstrating etc can read the translation. There's an immense reward in reciting the words of Allah tala in the Arabic language, and you get double reward if you have hardship reading it.

    The implementation of the Quran is done with translation etc, but that is where our ulama come in, and most Aalim if not everyone, must speak arabic to be considered an Aalim.

    -------------

    Dear sister, the translation of the Quran is not considered the Actual Quran Shareef. Therefore one can read the english translation while menstrating, etc. The reading of the Quran in Arabic has high merits and this is the `ijma (consensus) of all scholars.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    b
    Posts
    10,066

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaitoon View Post
    Also I have a Question ... Is it allowed for a woman , to read Quran sharif during her Menstruation?
    as far as I know, you can read the english translation (no arabic should be included). You can also not recite it while in a state of major impurity, yet you can recite duas from the Quran w/o the intention of the actual reciting of Ayyahs.

    What the hanafis rule about touching/reading Quran sharif during menstration/no wudu.

    http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...&ID=35&CATE=30
    Last edited by Doast; 10-12-2008 at 01:19 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    **** off!
    Posts
    15,545
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    I got one question:

    Is the Khatem supposed to be performed silently or loudly? Cause everywhere i have attended in the West, everyone reads silently, but back home i remember one time where everyone was reading aloud at the same time....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    b
    Posts
    10,066

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    you can read it quitely (to yourself) or with voice. I personally read it with moving lips & tongue. This is the definition of recitation for prayer, we must move our tongue/lips when reciting prayer, else it doesn't count. (you can't pray in ur heart/head).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10,319

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doast View Post
    Actually her teacher has lots of "clue" brother, I think we should hold our tongue in matters we do not understand or have not studied.

    1. As far as I understand, in the Hanafi Madhab, it is required that you khatm the Quran in Arabic once in your lifetime. I have not come across any concrete but I"ll try to find it.

    2. The Quran is considered the Quran only in the Arabic language, and there is Sawab in reading the Quran in Arabic language. The translation is not considered the "Quran", therefore that is why women menstrating etc can read the translation. There's an immense reward in reciting the words of Allah tala in the Arabic language, and you get double reward if you have hardship reading it.

    The implementation of the Quran is done with translation etc, but that is where our ulama come in, and most Aalim if not everyone, must speak arabic to be considered an Aalim.

    -------------

    Dear sister, the translation of the Quran is not considered the Actual Quran Shareef. Therefore one can read the english translation while menstrating, etc. The reading of the Quran in Arabic has high merits and this is the `ijma (consensus) of all scholars.
    brother

    It is not required. The "khatem-e-Quran" is a cultural ritual..not much to do with Islam. If you think it is required then show some evidence based on Quran and Sunnah.

    It is true that the actual Quran is in Arabic and the translations dont do justice but having said that if someone does not understand arabic then he/she is obligated to understand it in his/her own language. That is the point. And you obviously get rewarded by reciting in Arabic even if you do not understand it. But that is not the only point the Quran is there for us. The point is understanding its teachings and implementing them in your life.

    God did not send the Quran for us to just keep reading without understanding it. Quran encourages us to seek knowledge and make ourselves informed.
    Last edited by Baktash; 10-12-2008 at 02:23 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    This is so interesting.
    A LIBERAL EDUCATION... frees a man from the prison-house of his CLASS, RACE, TIME, PLACE, BACKGROUND, FAMILY and even his NATION.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10,319

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haqiqat_JoE View Post
    This is so interesting.
    not as interesting as your lame jokes.. i mean posts

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10,319

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaitoon View Post
    Also I have a Question ... Is it allowed for a woman , to read Quran sharif during her Menstruation?
    The short answer is Yes.

    There are a few conditions. More Info: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544678

  15. #15

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    ^
    ^lool!

    khwahar,

    for your second question, as a brother already said, you are not allowed to touch the Quran, itself - without whudu.

    but you are allowed to recite it from memory...i.e. you can recite "suratul fatiha" - same with other suras, if you know it off by heart then you can recite it. you can do various forms of dhikir and Ibaadat.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    b
    Posts
    10,066

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baktash View Post
    brother

    It is not required. The "khatem-e-Quran" is a cultural ritual..not much to do with Islam. If you think it is required then show some evidence based on Quran and Sunnah.

    It is true that the actual Quran is in Arabic and the translations dont do justice but having said that if someone does not understand arabic then he/she is obligated to understand it in his/her own language. That is the point. And you obviously get rewarded by reciting in Arabic even if you do not understand it. But that is not the only point the Quran is there for us. The point is understanding its teachings and implementing them in your life.

    God did not send the Quran for us to just keep reading without understanding it. Quran encourages us to seek knowledge.
    I'll try to see if I can find more info on this requirement, insha`Allah. Khatm of Quran itself is not a cultural thing, the greatest ulama have been known to khatm the Quran from start to end, daily, weekly, monthly etc.

    Imam Abu Hanifa (RA) who was of the Tabi`een used to finish the Quran nightly, and in Ramadan he used to finish it twice.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    b
    Posts
    10,066

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dokhtar-e-Hamsaya View Post
    ^
    ^lool!

    khwahar,

    for your second question, as a brother already said, you are not allowed to touch the Quran, itself - without whudu.

    but you are allowed to recite it from memory...i.e. you can recite "suratul fatiha" - same with other suras, if you know it off by heart then you can recite it. you can do various forms of dhikir and Ibaadat.
    I believe the scholars have stated that if one is memorizing the QUran, then there are certain exceptions, Wallahu `alam.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10,319

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doast View Post
    I'll try to see if I can find more info on this requirement, insha`Allah. Khatm of Quran itself is not a cultural thing, the greatest ulama have been known to khatm the Quran from start to end, daily, weekly, monthly etc.

    Imam Abu Hanifa (RA) who was of the Tabi`een used to finish the Quran nightly, and in Ramadan he used to finish it twice.
    yes alot of people recite the quran regularly and they do it from start to finish. that is a good thing. But it is not a requirement that you must do it from start to finish each time specially the way Afghans do it...where everyone gathers and each one takes one of the 30 parts and then rush to finish it. Some people do it at regular intervals like the 11th of each month. Now that can be an innovation.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doast View Post
    I'll try to see if I can find more info on this requirement, insha`Allah. Khatm of Quran itself is not a cultural thing, the greatest ulama have been known to khatm the Quran from start to end, daily, weekly, monthly etc.

    Imam Abu Hanifa (RA) who was of the Tabi`een used to finish the Quran nightly, and in Ramadan he used to finish it twice.
    wait.

    I don't understand!

    as Muslims arn't we supposed to be living our lives according to the Quran and the Sunnah - of Prophet Mohammad (may peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)

    doesn't that means, our ONLY source can be Ahadith and Quran..

    so is it still correct to follow teachings of Imam Abu Hanafi (RA)?

    :confused1:

    (sorry, I am putting it in very simple terms)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    b
    Posts
    10,066

    Default Re: Khatm Ul quran only in arabic?

    I don't want to start this Bida`h conversation, throught history no one has considered such things as bidah, only the current day salafi/wahabis feel this way about such things. As long as you don't make it a "farz" on others, it is ok. You can make a pact with Allah to do any act of worship, and it is binding, and as long as it is a good act of worship, there's no harm in that. If you say I am gonna fast every Wed, this is OK. Again, maybe from the scholars you follow they say this is Bidah and haram, but from a Sunni perspective, the 4 schools, such things are perfectly acceptable and encouraged.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Afghan Music  |  Afghan Videos  |  Afghan TV  |  Afghan Radio  |  Afghan Chat  |  Afghan Lyrics  |  Vancouver Printing Company  |  Afghan MP3  |  Afghan Music Videos