Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How will you preserve your Culture for Future Generations?

Default How will you preserve your Culture for Future Generations?

Since the majority of us are 1st generation afghans living in america, canada, europe, australia, etc we have been raised and educated within the norms of our society and environment. Others who aren't 1st generation, moved here at a relatively young age and speak a language outside our native tongue.

If we do speak our native language fluently it is more or less a result of our upbringing. The same may go for the ones who do not speak it fluently or at all. This also applies to other aspects of our culture and traditions such as the food, our history, etiquette and traditions

There is a higher probability that you will raise your family in the same country you yourself were raised in or spent the better part of your adolescent life in. Very few of you may actually move to Afghanistan and not have to worry about the culture/identity of our future generations.

My question for all you guys is: How much of our culture/identity do you see yourself realistically passing down and enforcing in your children? What part of our afghan culture is important to you if not all of it? Will it be a mix of your own modern upbringing with the old, highlighting certain things vs others?

One thing that my uncles did with his children and I hope to do with my own is to enforce a pashto only policy at home. Living in the states the children speak and interact with their american friends 6 hours a day and 5 days a week. When they are at home they should speak their native language as much as they can. Ive noticed this a lot with hispanics who speak very fluent spanish as well as english. And they all practice the same method at home. For some reason this is less practiced out here in our afghan community. But that may be my own observation.

Its all easier said than done but I hope that we continue to maintain our afghan culture and identity for centuries to come.

And I'm really curious to see what the rest of you think

Last edited by *ma786*; 08-23-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    “That person who relieveth a Mumin (Muslim) from distress in this world, God will in like manner relieve him in the next; and he who shall do good to the indigent, God will do good to him in this world and the next.”(Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

Blog Entries

Default Re: How will you preserve your Culture for Future Generations?

its hard but possible, something is always better then nothing its a good habit to speak your native language when you are home with other family members, if you dont do this i am sure they will be lost somewhere in the middle of road, at the end of the day they will be like who we are? and who was our ancestors? daily 30 mins of the classes also will help them to boost the level of their understanding, this should be kick start from childhood, they must know about their culture and religion by providing them historical, religious and cultural books or other related materials, which will lead them to understand about their originality, and not to forget who they are.

for me 2 things are very important, they should be fully known who are they and what is their originality, and where they came from, and the second one is they should be fully equipped religiously so they could be cautious.

the rest who knows.
    Last edited by 3dwarrior; 08-24-2012 at 03:32 AM.

شراب تلخ نمي نوشم ولي مستانه ميگردم
    لباس كهنه ميپوشم ولي مردانه ميگردم

we need afghan community centres outside afghanistan that promotes afghan culture. and there are some already.
    if not then keep close with relatives.
    how many generations can u keep afghanness alive outside afghanistan? 2 or 3 generations? is it worth the effort?
    this is why some youth just chose to keep their islam, deen, over culture.
    culture always changes....ask the people who try to control it, the elite.
    anyway i dun care to be honest. i am not planning any special program to mold my unborn children...yet.

As often as possible to visit your homeland with your children.
    I can't describe my love to you, I'm nothing without you..., WATER )))

My future wife must know how to cook Afghan food.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DibenzalAcetone View Post
    My future wife must know how to cook Afghan food.
    hadi bachaish bakhayalam ka shikambo asti lol j/k

شراب تلخ نمي نوشم ولي مستانه ميگردم
    لباس كهنه ميپوشم ولي مردانه ميگردم

Mmm. I will try to speak Pashto at home not for cultural reasons but because it's been shown that children who speak more than one language have a head start at school, generally outperform other children in academics, and have higher IQs. Plus, it's fun talking to your kid in a language nobody else around you can speak (you can also gossip more and no one will know hehe j/k)
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato
    “Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Mmm. I will try to speak Pashto at home not for cultural reasons but because it's been shown that children who speak more than one language have a head start at school, generally outperform other children in academics, and have higher IQs. Plus, it's fun talking to your kid in a language nobody else around you can speak (you can also gossip more and no one will know hehe j/k). Other than that, I do really want to preserve my Afghan food, so I'll always cook it! Haha.
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato
    “Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    As often as possible to visit your homeland with your children.
    This for sure. Who you marry is imperative and will make all the difference in the world.

Blog Entries

I would first look at my own family's cultural and custom, i would try to teach my family about the background and also it is good to have a constant communication and relationship with the families back home, we need to start a list of what your family views are; as most important qualities of your culture, and most importantly get involved in a network of people, family members, or friends who are also interested in perserving our culture.
    دنیا تنهای زیادی دارد، تنهای من عجب دنیای دارد

Afghanness has changed in Afghanistan... It is weird when you go back expecting something that is not there anymore...

Just be normal... speak your native language at home, concentrate on your religion. The rest is not really important.... apart from Atan and Qataghani.
    تعز من تشاء وتذل من تشاء

The Blog Etcetera

kochagasht Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SheikhThingsUp View Post
    Afghanness has changed in Afghanistan...

how?

Quote Originally Posted by kochagasht View Post
    how?
    A lot of the old school traditions and respect no longer exists. Some might see this as a good thing and some might view it as be haya or be tarbia. I think a lot of it has to do with tarbia.

Quote Originally Posted by kochagasht View Post
    how?
    Let me rephrase... in parts of Afghanistan. Many people when they go, they return and from stories you pickup that in Kabul, for example, people have changed. Perhaps, it is not the same all over Afghanistan. The level of caring, and love is no longer present as it used to be. People have become more materialist and the concern they felt for fellow Afghans is no longer the same... Morals are deteriorating as well... Certain behaviours are acceptable now that was not before.... Even in other major cities.... Change takes time to reach rural areas, of course.

i think the fact that the kid will be raised by me and my husband, as we are very traditional people ourselves, will be enough to preserve afghan-ness in him/her.

Pakhto me Laila, za ye Majnoon yam

Allah se Kare Door To Ta'leem bhi Fitna
    Imlaak bhi, Awlad Bhi, Jageer bhi Fitna
    Na Haq ke Liye Uthe to Shamsheer Bhi Fitna
    Shamsheer kia Na'ra ye Takbeer Bhi Fitna!

kochagasht Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SheikhThingsUp View Post
    Let me rephrase... in parts of Afghanistan. Many people when they go, they return and from stories you pickup that in Kabul, for example, people have changed. Perhaps, it is not the same all over Afghanistan. The level of caring, and love is no longer present as it used to be. People have become more materialist and the concern they felt for fellow Afghans is no longer the same... Morals are deteriorating as well... Certain behaviours are acceptable now that was not before.... Even in other major cities.... Change takes time to reach rural areas, of course.

i've heard the same things. the market place is overrun with low quality pakistani junk foods and goods, people have returned from pakistan and lost the old habits of cleanliness and pake kari and are now chatal khor, they wear piercings in their noses like indians and many more horrors

One thing I WILL make sure they have down pat is proper jor pursani. I hate the long, drawn out "salaaaaaam" that Western born kids mumble and then sit there, staring like a deer caught in the headlights. I WILL make sure they ask after everyone and their musapiraan and dostaan's health.

I don't play.
    Comedy is very much alive, as are homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadaf View Post
    One thing I WILL make sure they have down pat is proper jor pursani. I hate the long, drawn out "salaaaaaam" that Western born kids mumble and then sit there, staring like a deer caught in the headlights. I WILL make sure they ask after everyone and their musapiraan and dostaan's health.

I don't play.
    oh God, i thought i was the only one who had a problem with that!
    +1

Pakhto me Laila, za ye Majnoon yam

Allah se Kare Door To Ta'leem bhi Fitna
    Imlaak bhi, Awlad Bhi, Jageer bhi Fitna
    Na Haq ke Liye Uthe to Shamsheer Bhi Fitna
    Shamsheer kia Na'ra ye Takbeer Bhi Fitna!

My favorite: kid asks mom a question in Dari in public, she responds in English. I know you enough Dari to communicate with a four year old, so let's not pretend or send mixed messages to your child.
    Comedy is very much alive, as are homeless people.

It's good to have plans for your future on how you intend to do things. It's not wise, though, to create a fantasy in your head of being the best darn mom there is out there. And surely it is infantile to believe who you are and your upbringing are enough to raise ideal children. It's never how you picture it in your mind. It's like teen girls that fantasize about love and Prince Charming. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just pray that you are wise enough to make the right decisions and understand that being a mother and raising children is the most difficult thing you'll ever have to do as women.