Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Khattak Dance-only famous in Pakistan?

Nasha Guest

Default The Khattak Dance-only famous in Pakistan?

Men dressed in bright and colourful traditional costumes, waving glittering swords in the air and swirling to the drumbeats and tunes of surnai is what Khattak dance is all about. Controlled footwork and flexible body movements on fast drumbeats with instantaneous sword swinging by a troupe involving men of all ages makes Khattak dance distinct from other folk dances of the Pakhtoons.

The dancers, wearing shalwar and specially tailored frock-like kamiz in addition to red embroidered waistcoat with large decorative scarves tied around the waist or knotted around the neck, perform in a circle. Shining swords with sharp edges add more colour to their body movements and the overall festivity created by the dance.

The Khattak dance is not mere entertainment or fun. A Khattak tribesman dances with the zeal of a hero, displaying his physical fitness through body movements, while holding one, two or even three swords at a time. Each sword weighs about one-and-a-half kilograms. The Khattak tribesmen, although quite religious, often fail to resist the impact created by the thunderous drum beats and sweet tunes of surnai that accompany the Khattak dance.

The Khattak dance is as old as the history of the tribe, going back to the fourteenth century. As the word goes, the Khattaks used to dance with swords as a warm-up exercise prior to taking on their rival tribes in a battlefield. With the passage of time, dance became a permanent feature of their funfairs, giving the tribe an additional emblem of their distinct identity.

The fast tempo with which the Khattak dance starts and ends distinguishes it from all the other Pakhtoon folk dances which are described as Atanr (Pashto word for a family of identical folk dances). Except for the Khattak dance, all the other Pakhtoon folk dances or Atanr start with a slow tempo and get fast as the momentum picks up with a corresponding faster beat.

The second important dissimilarity between the Khattak dance and other folk dances is the absence of Sanrry (oily hair grown up to a specific length), which the Khattak dancers don't have. The dance comprises a total of 12 steps requiring the dancers to have the best of skills to perform. At one moment they would be performing individually and in a fraction of seconds they would align their body movements with the rest of the troupe members - whose number may be as high as 40.

"Each performing step must not last more than two minutes to maintain stamina at a certain level," said Subedar Nauroz Khan, head of the Khyber Rifle's Khattak dance troupe.

The first step is the Bhangrah where every member swirls while carrying swords as the prop. The Bhangrah is followed by Derabi. At this stage, two youths at a time, carrying one sword and a handkerchief each in their hands, start dancing in front of the man with surnai while the rest of the troupe members wait for their turn. In the Laila, the third step, a group of four performers holding two swords each, perform stunts moving in a circle.

Braghoni is the fastest and the most adventurous of all steps, which a single dancer performs with three swords. He very skillfully swings two swords in the air while holding the third in his mouth.

Bulbullah, the last of the twelve steps, is staged without swords. The dancers sing a love song at a high pitch. At the end of the song, the drumbeat increases slightly and the dance goes on.

Apart from the Khattak tribesmen, the Frontier Corps has also made persistent efforts in conserving and promoting the folk dances of the Frontier province. The well-maintained corps troupes occasionally perform in Pakistan and abroad.

Khattak is the only dance which has withstood the change of times over the centuries. Its flavour and essence are almost in its original form. And this is so because it's a blend of rich and exciting moves that come from the very heart of the performers.

---------------------

I really wonder if there are real differences between the NWFP state Pakhtoons (Pathans) and Afghan Pakhtoons...since all the Afghan Pakhtoons I know do not even know this Khattak dance...:huh1:

Pukhtoons living on the north side of the boarder, aka my beautiful Afghanistan are much better looking :proud:

Well the real pashtoons in my opinion are the ones in afghanistan. I really don't consider those "munga munga, kha" pakis pashtoons.:rolleyes

Nasha Guest

Ya, but what about those who had no other chance xcept livin there?
    But true suraya jan "munga munga":bleh: but "KHA" is something we use too as Laghmanis/Jalalabatis:proud: so no Reshkhand...

Originally posted by RaaZ-e-Khamoshi
    Ya, but what about those who had no other chance xcept livin there?
    But true suraya jan "munga munga":bleh: but "KHA" is something we use too as Laghmanis/Jalalabatis:proud: so no Reshkhand...
    i am really sorry if u got offended. i didn't meant it like that sis.

i only meant the pakis.

I think the pukhtoons in peshawar, swat etc are just as entitled to be part of the pukhtoonwali as the ones on the other side of the boarder (afghan pukhtoons)...as Raaz jan said...they didnt have a choice when the boarder line was altered...most of the pukhtoons in pakiland still consider themselves afghans...and i dont think a boarder line can change whats in people's hearts. Honestly speaking...i am not surprised that they have deviated a bit from the "afghan pukhtoon ways" because they are living in a dirty paki land..so obviously they have been a bit influenced in their culture living amongst such disgusting ppl for over 100 years.

Originally posted by Maihan
    I think the pukhtoons in peshawar, swat etc are just as entitled to be part of the pukhtoonwali as the ones on the other side of the boarder (afghan pukhtoons)...as Raaz jan said...they didnt have a choice when the boarder line was altered...most of the pukhtoons in pakiland still consider themselves afghans...and i dont think a boarder line can change whats in people's hearts. Honestly speaking...i am not surprised that they have deviated a bit from the "afghan pukhtoon ways" because they are living in a dirty paki land..so obviously they have been a bit influenced in their culture living amongst such disgusting ppl for over 100 years.
    Finally a post from wifey that I agree with regarding Pashtoons! While, as you said, the imaginary line does not mean anything to them, there are slight differences due to the fact that they have lived outside Afghanistan under a different Daalkhor government regime.

Dad and I met a Pashtoon from Kuwetta yesterday in Afghan grocery store and I did not see anything Paki in him.

He spoke clear and nice and the fact that he was in an Afghan store and talked to us in Pashto gave me the impression that most Pashtoons living outside Afghanistan do consider Afghanistan their first and only home.

Nasha Guest

My khala married a guy from NWFP he speaks Pashto fluently and Dari aswell with that cute Pashto accent his ancestors were Qandahari, he is white, has greenish-blue eyes and looks great lol
    He calls himself AFGHAN, not Pakistani and am happy about this:proud: the kids have blue eyes
    No Pakistani can have blue eyes:proud:

I mean I dont understand the guys who voted in the 40's (?) for Pakistan and not Afghanistan...okay this Durrand line issue is another one, yet I dont get it! NWFP is full of Afghans!!!:hip:

My khala married a guy from NWFP he speaks Pashto fluently and Dari aswell with that cute Pashto accent his ancestors were Qandahari, he is white, has greenish-blue eyes and looks great lol
    He calls himself AFGHAN, not Pakistani and am happy about this:proud: the kids have blue eyes

I mean I dont understand the guys who voted in the 40's (?) for Pakistan and not Afghanistan...okay this Durrand line issue is another one, yet I dont get it! NWFP is full of Afghans!!!:hip:
    sweety i mentioned this in another thread but i will say it again. It's not big deal to have blue or green eyes. and as for pakis, they can have blue /green eyes too. I know at least five pakis with green eyes. So chill!!

Nasha Guest

Then they are Aryans but no Pakistanis:rant:

Then they are Aryans but no Pakistanis:rant:
    they are pure pakis. Why is so hard for u to believe?

Nasha Guest

Originally posted by suraya9
    where from Pak. are they from?

where from Pak. are they from?
    i don't know. I don't all about their lives but they are pakis. All i am saying is that it's possible that's all.

Well the real pashtoons in my opinion are the ones in afghanistan. I really don't consider those "munga munga, kha" pakis pashtoons.:rolleyes

Salam

Sorry to say this to you that your preception is wrong.

A person born to an Afghan Family will always be an afghan no matter where he or she came from, let it be in Afghansitan, Pakistan, India, China, Malaysia or Europe. You cant be an afghan just because you were born in Afghanistan, it's the blood that make you an Afghan.
    Last edited by Farhad; 12-02-2005 at 10:08 AM.

Originally posted by Farhad-Y
    Salam

Sorry to say this to you that your preception is wrong.

A person born to an Afghan Family will always be an afghan no matter where he or she came from, let it be in Afghansitan, Pakistan, India, China, Malaysia or Europe. You cant be an afghan just because you were born in Afghanistan, it's the blood that make you an Afghan.
    sweety first learn to read correctly... i said i don't consider PAKI(peshawri) who speak pashto pashtoons.... i said nothing about an afghan being born in pakistan not being afghan....:rolleyes

sweety first learn to read correctly... i said i don't consider PAKI(peshawri) who speak pashto pashtoons.... i said nothing about an afghan being born in pakistan not being afghan....:rolleyes

In this term who do u meant to call the paki? is it the pashtoon of Peshawar or the non pashtoon living in Peshawar ?

If your answer is the Pashtoon rather then the Non Pashtoon ( punjabi happen to speak pashto )
    Then my sweety dear you need to understand the history of Afghan people.

Pashtoon from every corner of this world are Afghans

Every pashtoon are an Afghan because the Pashtoon are the real and true Afghan . You cant be an Afghan just because you are born in afghansitan, its the Afghan blood in you that makes you to be An Afghan. Those Non Afghan who happen to be in Afghanistan are to be called Afghani not Afghan.

To correct everyone or to inform those who didn't knew this , that we the Afghan are called Pashtoon because the language we speak is Pashto. Originally we are not called Pashtoon rather we are an Afghan who sepak Pashto. Others begin to call us Pashtoon after our pashto language.
    Last edited by Farhad; 12-03-2005 at 10:17 AM.

There is no such thing as Pure Paki , where did you get this from ?

I need more detail . Dont say something when you dont have a proof or material to support you .

I know we all dont like the Pakistani Govt but to hate and to allow our self to be racist is not good.
    Last edited by Farhad; 12-03-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Originally posted by Maihan

I salute you my dear sister for a well said opinion by you

Originally posted by Omar
    Finally a post from wifey that I agree with regarding Pashtoons! While, as you said, the imaginary line does not mean anything to them, there are slight differences due to the fact that they have lived outside Afghanistan under a different Daalkhor government regime.

Dad and I met a Pashtoon from Kuwetta yesterday in Afghan grocery store and I did not see anything Paki in him.

He spoke clear and nice and the fact that he was in an Afghan store and talked to us in Pashto gave me the impression that most Pashtoons living outside Afghanistan do consider Afghanistan their first and only home.

I salute you aswell my dear brother .

we Afghan living outside of Afghansitan always consider our self an Afghan even though we been away for generations.

NO dear those vote was rigged by the english for the purposed of wanting Afghans to be in the Pakistan side rather then in Afghanistan side. I have read an old article that before the voting took place.so many Afghans wanted to be in the Afghanistan, so this scared Jinnah and he have ordered to have some afghan leaders to be killed and rigged the vote.

Even today if there is a referrendum for all Afghans in Pakistan to chose which side would they preffer. the result will be 72% in the Afghanistan side because they want to maintain the language and culture. But at the same time they also wanted peace to prevail in Afghansitan first before they decide.

the Big question is ! will the paki let the referrendum to take place ?